An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that two companies have failed in their duty to provide a safe system of work.
Leeds Magistrates’ Court heard that a delivery driver who was working for Brighouse Pallet Services Ltd was struck by falling pallets, whilst unloading from a HGV trailer.
The incident occurred when a fork lift driver was operating a Seal It Services Ltd fork-lift truck at the site at Elland.
As a result of the incident, the two companies, Brighouse Pallet Services Ltd and Seal It Services Ltd, have been fined for safety breaches after the HGV driver suffered an injury.
The financial impact
Brighouse Pallet Services Ltd have pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. As a result of this, the company was fined £4,000 and ordered to pay £4806.60 in costs.
Seal It Services Ltd also pleaded guilty to the charges and in particular, for breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. Seal It Services have been fined a total of £50,000 and ordered to pay £4,654.90 in costs.
Incidents such as these can result in serious personal injury and the risks involved must be managed by all those who have legal duties for the safety of delivery drivers, both their employer and the sites they deliver to.
What does it mean for Employers?
- All employers need to plan, manage and monitor the health & safety arrangements at the workplace.
- Employers need to set the rules for safety at their workplace and make sure these are followed by everyone including visitors.
- Safe systems of work should be in place to describe how activities at the workplace can be completed in the safest way possible.
- A risk assessment of activities should have been completed to assess the risks and suggest control measures to prevent the potential for such incidents to occur.
- Training, information and supervision of workers needs to be considered by employers who are working with tools, equipment, heavy objects and vehicles.
If you would like to learn more about this Health and Safety, or have any queries, contact us today and speak to a member of our team.