Skip to main content

Brexit: travelling and driving in Europe

By October 14, 2019October 21st, 2019Case Review, Current Affairs, Legal Update
Travelling and Driving in Europe | HR Solutions

To visit Europe after Brexit there are things that you need to check and put in place before you travel.  In addition to the checklist below, for further guidance visit


  • Different countries may have their own requirements for those traveling on business. Some may require a specific visa.
  • If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, then you should have at least 6 months left on your passport to travel to most countries in Europe, as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. It should also be fewer than 10 years old. For more information visit
  • The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may not be valid after Brexit. You should make sure your travel insurance covers your healthcare needs.
  • Those driving on Company business (Individuals) after Brexit are likely to require some extra documents. They will need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries
  • Those taking a vehicle will also need:
    • a ‘green card’ – allow 1 month to get this from your vehicle insurance company
    • a GB sticker
  • Be aware that the Mobile phone tariff may change after Brexit
  • In a no deal Brexit scenario, check that HGV drivers have:

Further Brexit and HR Guidance

Visit our Brexit Business Preparation website page for more suggestions on how an organisation as a whole may identify the potential impact that Brexit could have on its operation; as well as get practical HR and employment legislation guidance on how businesses can get ready for Brexit.

Interested in what we do?

Get the latest news from HR Solutions delivered to your inbox